Investing By Consensus

A Personal Finance blog actively looking for advice on growing my investments.
I will completely detail levels and sources of my income and all investments.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

My Net Worth

My facts and figures

I have created a profile in NetWorthIQ that pretty much sums everything up. I'm not very impresssed with Net Worth IQ's site and functionality yet, but I guess since they are new they are still trying to figure out what to do. It's still in Beta. But, so is everything Google has released :)

What I Amount To

According to Net Worth IQ I am worth $444,431. Which is fine by my standards and especially if you'd have told me 10 years ago I'd be worth that much (but with 10 years of inflation maybe I wouldn't be that happy). The more I think about it, I should have more (or should have saved more by now - especially for how frugally I have lived until now).

How I Rate

According to Net Worth IQ's statistics, I am slightly below average for my profile. That's sad as I thought I was definitely above average. When I compare myself against my friends and co-workers, I am way ahead. I figure, many people on Net Worth are overestimating themselves (purposely or not) when they fill it in. Sort of like when people play golf and forget to add extra strokes for penalties and take mulligans and such. Additionally, those people already having an above average amount of money to begin with and caring about their money growing are much more likely to go there are create a profile. I am being perfectly honest in the numbers posted and will update them each month. If anything, I tend to underestimate a little, so I can be pleasantly surprised in the future when my investments grow larger than I had planned for.

Coming Soon

In my coming posts, I will try to describe each of my investments listed in the Net Worth IQ profile.

Later posts will describe my goals, both monetary and lifestyle. After that, I will try to get into things I am thinking of doing with my investments and hope to get some advice on what is more beneficial for my goals.

2 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Investingbyconsensus: Hi, my networth iq username is 1601. I would not be concerned about not being at the average Networth, I'm sure you are well above the median in the real world for your Age. The site, networthiq, has mostly people who are extremely interested in Networth, which we are all of course, but much of the profiles are Bogus and embelished I am sure. Below is a recent survey link which is much more accurate if you are interested
http://www.ebri.org/pdf/briefspdf/EBRI_IB_04-20061.pdf.

I also have a financial interest in Japan, my wife is a Japanese citizen with property in Kochi (not reflected in my networth profile for personal reasons). The dollar weakness has made a real difference in the value of that property. Anyway read your comment and don't worry you are doing quite well for your age.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger mOOm said...

Why the name "investing by consensus". In assessing how your net worth compares to averages you need to take into account both income and age. On that basis I think I am about average. You have a higher net worth than me, but are younger and have a higher income. I'd guess you were above average even...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home