Investing By Consensus

A Personal Finance blog actively looking for advice on growing my investments.
I will completely detail levels and sources of my income and all investments.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Work and Salary History, Part II

Software Engineering Career

The Apprentice

These numbers for the first job are probably a bit off as I can't remember exactly.

Software Contracting / Programming - Part-time - equivalent of $18,000. However, I didn't get that amount each year, as I was only working like 12 hours a week. Maybe it was something like $12 or $13 an hour. I was working 7:30am to 3:00pm reaching each day, and then drive over to the software place and work there about 3 hours a couple days a week. After going to school for computers and then going to school for teaching, and then actually teaching for 1.5 years and 3 months of part-time programming, I realized that I definitely wanted to be an engineer long term and engineering and creating was what made me happy.

Software Engineering - Year 1 - 4 days a week. $24,000 a year. I quit teaching and proceeded to work 4 fulltime days a week for the first 6 months so I could finish my (now unneeded) Masters in Secondary Education. When that was done, I went fulltime programming and never looked back. In addition to the salary, I got a $2000 bonus and maybe $4000 to invest in a SEP-IRA.

Software Engineering - Year 2 - $30,000 a year. I was now fulltime and taking and handling projects on my own. And, learning lots of techniques and knowledge. Our projects were usually focused on real-time control and processing systems. Excellent experience. Additionally, $3000 bonus and $5000 in a SEP-IRA.

Software Engineering - Year 3 - $35,000 a year. $3500 bonus and $5000 in a SEP-IRA.

Software Engineering - Year 4 - $50,000 a year. Senior Engineer leading projects. I invested a little and owned 2 shares ($5000) of the privately held company (the investment never worked out - I lost $2000 on it). About $3000 bonus (company had a bad year) and $4000 in a SEP-IRA.

Software Engineering - Year 5 - $60,000 a year. Senior Engineer leading projects. Never saw the bonus or SEP-IRA investment that year as I decided to change jobs. I wanted to learn more (hard to learn when you've been there the longest and are mentoring all the new employees) and I wanted to learn a new domain (inside software of course). The internet boom was just starting to happen, so naturally, why not learn internet technologies (something I was very deficient in)...

The Dot.com ERA

Software Engineering - Year 1 - $77,500 a year. A typical Dot.com company. I was employee number 60. All the great worktime perks: at-desk massages, pet insurance, etc. It was great to be able to learn internet technologies since I was very deficient in them (I had been doing all real-time, multi-threaded, low-level C/C++ programming and designing). In my first review, I got no bonus - just stock options (which were ultimately worthless). Also, no extra retirement like the SEP-IRA I had been receiving at the previous job. Instead, we had a 401K and that could be donated into (included in the salary).

Software Engineering - Year 2 - $85,000 or $88,000 a year. The Dot.com company. We now had over 300 employees. I soon got a raise to 92,500. But, 6 months later, like all dot.coms (outside of google, yahoo, amazon, and ebay) the company was in the red. We started laying off hundreds. We operated with about 20 employees for a month. When it was all over, there were 7 of us left. I was one of those 7. We worked another month like that. When it was announced that we too would be out of a job in 2 weeks, I didn't really care.

The 7 of us had already been approached to continue developing the application for the asian market. The partner company that still had solid sales though. 4 (manager, 2 developer, DB/DBA) of us decided to go (for the money or the adventure?).

Japan

Small Startup - 10-15 employees. $100,000 + housing (about $25,000). I was paid as a contractor in American dollars for 6 months so I really only made $50,000 of it.

After the first 6 months I got a 3 year Engineering VISA to live in Japan and was converted into a fulltime employee and paid in yen - 12000000 yen per year. At the time the exchange rate was about 125 yen per dollar which would equal $96,400. But, I was also given some other perks commonly referred to as an ex-pat or ex-patriot package: $1000 moving expenses, free Business Class flight once a year, 100000yen per month for rent (equal to $800 a month which was nice but not sufficient considering the cost of aprtments in Japan).

It was decent but not the best ex-pat package I have ever heard of - the big banks know how to do that.

So, to sum it up I was making about $107,000 a year. But, if you were to take into account tax laws (my Japan yen income was only taxed at like 19%), I was getting the equivalent of $140,000 before taxes and $87,400 after taxes. Before you say that the equation is not that straightforward and is wrong, please actually know the ex-pat tax laws. Plus, I am account for everything (health insurance, etc) and am calculating based on final money deposited into my bank account each month.

I did that for one year and then they had to let us go (or cancel the contract depending how you say it).

I realized I liked Tokyo and decided to try to find another job.

The only way (not the only way but pretty much) to get a job in Tokyo is through introductions via friends or recruiters. I had a friend recommend me for a position at the Tokyo office of a small, but public multinational hardware/software computer listed on NASDAC. The pay was not that great but it enabled me to stay in Tokyo.

I think I'm turning Japanese: Yen Employee

Public Multinational Hardware/Software Company

Senior Engineer - Year 1 - I got 8000000 yen per year which was equivalent to about $66,000 at the exchange rate at the time. Looking back on it, I should not have accepted such a low salary. Oh well, I learned. The job was so easy though, I'm not sure if I could have contributed anything above $66,000 a year. The equivalent salary, after taxes and heathcare costs, etc would have been a American Salary of $90000.

Senior EngineerYear 2 - I got a small $1500 raise. As the yen-dollar exchange rate moved in my favor, I was making about $75000 a year. The equivalent salary, after taxes and heathcare costs, etc would have been a American Salary of $95000.

In addition to that I started doing consulting/contracting on the side for a small private company that needed help and made another $10000 a year.

Finance

Team Lead (of a team of 4)

Depsite the title, it's still mainly Software Devleopment - about 50% development, and 50% management and bureaucracy. I was not very challenged (aside from improving my Japanese) at the Software/Hardware company and there was nowhere in the company to go. I found a job at a huge, multinational bank and took it. I have been here about 7 months. 11000000 yen per month plus 25% of that is untaxed and goes towards housing costs. The equivalent $ rate of that is about $130,000 per year. The tax laws really do help me living here.


In addition to that I am still doing consulting/contracting on the side for a small private company that needs help. I make about $20000 a year from that.

So really, I am making like $150,000 a year, but I choose just to list the main job right now.

And, I still hate getting up in the morning.

1 Comments:

At 1:41 AM, Blogger mOOm said...

Cool - maybe you will start a new PF blog trend of posting work histories?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home